Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Kicked Out of the Oriental Hotel

Today I took a river barge from my area - Khao San Rd. - as a way of seeing the city from a different perspective plus to make it to a part of the city that I hadn't been to yet. So far I had mostly stuck in my area and gone south down to Chinatown, primarily walking and taking the tuk tuks. It takes pretty long getting around to different part of the city as traffic is quite congested and often bumper to bumper. Getting on the river - the Chao Phraya - is a much quicker way of getting around and I wanted to check out the Silom Rd and Patpong area. Both of these areas are busy business areas during the day. Some of the most expensive real estate of the city is in this city. Patpong streets are toward the east end of Silom Rd and contain the wildest and most outrageous strip and gogo bars. In the area adjacent to the west side of Silom Rd and next to the river is the Oriental Hotel, considering one of the most upscale and exclusive hotels in the city with incredible service. Since I was in the area I figured I may as well walk past the Oriental Hotel and check it out and see if I could walk in the place. There were many bellman and expensive cars in the outside foyer of the hotel. As I was approaching the front door I was told by one of the bellman or some official that I was not dressed properly as I was wearing shorts and not allowed in the hotel. I told him that I just wanted a quick peak and to check out the prices. Surprisingly he let me pass on through the door and didn't give me a hard time. The inside of the hotel was quite amazing with huge chandeliers, very posh and expensive furniture, along with huge windows and high ceilings. I could see the pool through the windows and figured I would go check it out. There were two very nice pools with ppl lounging around the area on chairs. I walked up somwhat near the pool but chose not to actually go into the pool area, but up to some bushes. I was wearing a some decent pair of shorts and a tank top with a small backpack on, not exactly the kind of upscale look that would go over to well with the crowd, as evidenced by the comments by the doorman at the beginning.

I was able to get a few quick pics of the pool area as well as the inside and was walking around the foyer about ready to walk down a hallway into some other areas of the hotel when the outside bellman approached me and told me that I was going to have to leave. I just told him no problem as I was pleased to just get a look and feel of the place. Definitely very upscale and fancy. It would be great to have a chance to hang out at the pool and go swimming some day, although I'm doubtful I will make it back to the place. I'd have to dress up and wear a pair of nice pants and shirt just to get back in without a hassle. The heat in the city definetely makes you want to go swimming. It will be great making it down to the islands in several wks to go swimming in the Gulf of Thailand.

No comments: