Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Dental Work

Was able to see the dentist this evening with little to not wait. Dentist had been trained in the US so at least he had some good and credible credentials. I believe he went to SUNY Buffalo. He told me his daughter went to school at University of Colorado at Denver. Pretty school world. He had a picture of the Colorado rockies San Juan mountain range on the wall. Since I had a root canal last month and had a temporary filling, I was looking to get a crown over the tooth to fill it up. I had been told previously that my current filling would last for several months, andthen I'm not sure. Anyway, the dentist here put in a more permanent filling instead of a crown. He told me it should last for about 5 yrs. I was basically in and out of the office. Cost me 2500 baht, or about $70-80 US dollars. A crown would have cost me about $250 here depending upon the quality of it. In the US a crown would cost about $1200.

Also had a great thai massage session today inthe neighborhood. Cost me 250 baht for 1.5 hrs, or about $7-8 dollars. Was incredible work. Looking forward to starting thai massage training here in the city. Went to the Wat Po yesterday which is one of the most renowned training schools in the country for thai massage. Much more expensive there to receive a massage. Paid over 300 baht for just an hr. Also visited the huge reclining Buddha on the grounds of the Wat. Probably the most incredible Buddha I have seen so far in Bangkok. It was absolutely huge, several hundred feet long and about a hundred feet high. Taking pics of the Buddha as well as everything else out here does no justice for how incredible it is. The artwork and architecture of the Buddha as well as the surrounding area was great. Hoping to go visit the Grand Palace tomorrow where the Emerald Buddha resides, the most revered Buddha in the country.

Met an interesting guy from New Zealand along with a Scottish woman at the thai massage place today. They both been traveling all over Asia themselves and had just met that day. The guy said he was going to be biking Cambodia in several days for a few wks. Going to try and meet up with them for some drinks this evening if I can find them. She had mentioned a certain in the area, forget the name of, which I will try and locate

2 comments:

DC said...

Great to hear about the filling vs. the crown. Did you find out what the tradition was when you go to see the reclining Budda?

Benie said...

read your blogs this afternoon, glad that you are enjoying it there, surprise that you dont have much of jetleg. be safe and happy, and get some pics!