Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Krabi

Krabi was a cool and beautiful area I managed to stop in for about a day and a half. Was essentially on my way to Phuket to see Soozie and Sky but jumped on a bus taking me to Krabi, several hrs from Phuket. Got there around 6pm and found myself a pretty nice room. Just hung out for the evening and went riding my motorbike and walking around town. Not too much going on in the town except for the usual markets, some bars, and plenty of massage parlors. The best sights are outside of town including incredible rock climbing around the beach of Railey, as well as the touristy beach area of Ao Nang Beach. Also dozens of small, isolated islands including Ko Phi Phi, where parts of the movie 'The Beach' were filmed, and James Bonds island, where one of the James Bond movies was filmed. I rode my motor bike the next morning from the town of Krabi over to Ao Nang Beach, which took me about 30 minutes. The beaches were pretty nice, but extremely crowded compared to those on Ko Phangan. I would have liked to have gone for a swim but decided not to since I still have a bunch of small infections from mosquito bites and itching then swimming in the ocean every day. The bacteria in the water softens them up and makes it more difficult to heal.



Anyway, I decided to rent out a kayak from Ao Nang and paddle myself over to the beach of Railey to see if I could see any of the rockclimbing formations popular with climbers. While i paddled around some huge limestone formations and the scenery was incredible, I didn't see any areas teeming with rockclimbers, at least along my route over to Railey. Was still a great workout 90 minutes of kayaking by myself.



I would have liked to have paid one of the tour guides to go rock climbing, but since I was heading to Phuket the next day I didn't have any time to do so. Perhaps it is something I can do on a future trip to southern Thailand.

No comments: