Sunday, January 13, 2008

possible cobra sighting

I took a drive Sunday afternoon southeast on the island to a road which heads north in the mountains and past the location for the well-publicized Half-Moon party. This particular party is one of the three main Moon parties, along with the Full Moon and Black Moon parties, that occur on the southeast section of the island, pretty far from where I am staying at the moment. The half-moon party sounds cool and different cause it is in the jungle instead of the beach where the other two are. There are flyers and advertisement for these parties everywhere u go on the island.

I found the location so now I know where to go when I make plans to attend the gathering. I jumped back on my bike and headed north and took a turn on another path where I was almost attacked by some stupid dog which started chasing me very aggressively on the left side of my bike. Fortunately I practice yoga and have good flexibility and was able to lift my leg off the pedal high enough that the dog couldn't bite the leg. I'm glad it was that side cause my right leg controls the main brake along with the hand brake. A second later the dog lost interest or I left his territory but he stopped chasing me. Would be a wonderful thing to be bitten by a rabid dog.


I got back on the main road north and headed up for a while till I found another turn advertising waterfalls, which I took. I went for a distance and spoke with some guys who said the waterfall was pretty lame at the moment and not worth checking out. During the main rainy season I'm sure it would be amazing. I kept going for a little bit and found another turn on the left side and decided to check it out. I drove up it for a distance till I arrived at an abandoned shack and walked around a bit examining things. Didn't look as though anyone had been there for a while and I decided it was about time to turn around and head on back. I did notice alot of trees with carvings spiraling down their side to a container to collect a thick, foamy and sappy looking discharge . I was told this is used to create rubber.



As I was heading back on the dirt lane I was on an uphill portion and noticed what appeared to be a hose or cable or something about 15 ft in the distance. As my vision improved I noticed the object started moving and it was a huge snake which was spinning around very quickly and heading back into the bush. I tried to get off my bike to check it out but was too slow. I was also wearing flip flops which didn't help getting my footing.


The snake, brown and about 8-10 ft long moved in a very quick and powerful fashion and had the appearance of a cobra, possibly even a king cobra. The cobras I had seen at the snake farm back in Bangkok had been less then 5 ft long and this one was much longer and larger. It all happened so quick that I wasn't able to get my camera out and take a picture or even check the reptile out. It also moved away so quick that I didn't get to see if it hooded up or not.


It was a huge adrenaline rush and I was pretty pumped up about it for a while. I can't wait to go back to the area and see if I see it again or another one. I will probably wind up taking a guided tour by one of the local Thais who knows the area. There is also monkeys deeper into the jungle which would be exciting to see.

In talking with a reiki master the other day I had mentioned to her my intrigue with finding and seeing a cobra in the wild. I was wondering what it may symbolize and she told me it symbolized transformation. That is one of the common themes for my trip to the Asia to seek transformation of myself. Perhaps something deep in my psyche resonates with the symbolism of the cobra.

No comments: